We're a locally owned and operated outdoor specialty retailer in Buena Vista, Colorado. Since 1972, The Trailhead has been a leading expert in outdoor knowledge and gear expertise.
Our staff is equipped to help you find the gear you need and offer knowledge of the backcountry; we’ll explain route directions and offer tips for local hiking, camping, rock climbing, running, snowshoeing and skiing.
So stop on in our shop and say hey! We can't wait to suit you up with some new gear and help you find some cool routes for your next outdoor adventure. #GoThereStartHere
Meet our Staff
Chances are, one of these people will ring you up for your dehydrated noodles:
- Favorite Hobbies/Activities: Rock climbing, sleeping, and traveling.
- Favorite Local Adventure: Rock Climbing near the Midland Tunnels.
- One thing you can’t live without in woods or water: Sugar.
- Favorite adventure you haven’t taken yet: Traveling to Bhutan.
- Favorite Hobbies/Activities: Climbing, biking, guitar playing, and adventuring outside with my family.
- Favorite Local Adventure: Biking with friends on the Midland Trail.
- One thing you can’t live without in woods or water: Sunshine and a good book!
- Favorite adventure you haven’t taken yet: Multi-day horse packing trip (summer) and cross country ski trip (winter) in the mountains with my favorite people.
- Favorite Hobbies/Activities: Biking, skiing, nerding out about insulation jackets, watching football, reading business books, and spending time in the backcountry, whether that's on a bike, on the river, or in the snow.
- Favorite Local Adventure: Hiking to the top of Midland Hill to see the awesome views of the Mountains and Arkansas Valley; backpacking through the San Isabel National Forest; and long bike rides to explore new areas around BV.
- One thing you can’t live without in woods or water: Sunglasses.
- Favorite adventure you haven’t taken yet: Completing a bike tour and a through hike (unsure where yet!).
Jon Ten Brink
Sales Associate & Longest Employee of The Trailhead
- Favorite Hobbies/Activities: Moto touring throughout North America (Alaska into Mexico) on my BMW 800 GS, fat biking, mountain biking, road biking, bike packing, trail running, back country skiing, cross country skiing, challenging my hang board, reading, cooking, baking, watching season 6 of Game of Thrones, visiting the New Mexico hot springs, trail building, and eating pie!
- Favorite Local Adventure: Backpacking or trail running in the Fourmile area.
- Favorite adventure you haven’t taken yet: Visit to Alaska on GS 800 to ride to Invec, Canada (way above Canadain Artic Circle, moto to Cobo San Lucas, Mexico - Baja) and riding my mountain bike to Antalope Wells (Mexican Border on Divide route), New Mexico.
- Favorite Hobbies/Activities: Backpacking, trail running, rock climbing, and skiing.
- Favorite Local Adventure: Climbing Mount Harvard.
- One thing you can’t live without in woods or water: Sour Patch Kids!
- Favorite adventure you haven’t taken yet: Hiking the Pacific Crest Trail.